Courses in Canvas
Types of Courses in Canvas
There are two types of courses in Canvas:
- PowerSchool courses: A Canvas course is automatically created for every course section in PowerSchool.
- Manual courses: Manual courses are created and managed by each staff and are used for non-PowerSchool activities.
|automatic from PowerSchool
||automatic from PowerSchool
manual enrollments available
|managed by the teacher
|| automatic from PowerSchool
||managed by the teacher
||concluded at the end of the term
||no term end date
||each teacher makes their own
Creating Manual Courses
Teachers can create and manage their own manual courses using the Canvas Portal.
- Log into Canvas or Learning Central.
- Click Help at the bottom of the global navigation sidebar.
- Click Canvas Portal for Manual Courses. The portal will open in a new tab.
- Choose Canvas (for K-12 students) or Learning Central (for staff only).
- Add and/or modify your manual Canvas courses.
- Return to Canvas or Learning Central to design your course.