There are two ways that Canvas users are enrolled into a course: 1) automatically by PowerSchool or 2) manually by the teacher. Being enrolled in a course gives users the ability to participate in the course (e.g. take a quiz, submit an assignment, or post discussions.)
- Users are enrolled with a course role that give them rights to participate in the course.
- Students enrolled in a course will not have access until the course is published by the teacher.
- Students should never be enrolled with a teacher role.
- Only PowerSchool courses will have automatic enrollments.
- Teacher and student enrollments in Canvas are updated nightly to match PowerSchool enrollments.
All manual enrollments are managed by the teacher of the course. This can be done directly by the teacher or the teacher can allow users to self-enroll.
Teacher Manually Enrolls Each User
- Faculty/Staff: select Email Address and enter the full WCPSS e-mail
- Students: select Login ID and enter the student number
- Manual enrollment directions can be found at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2878.
- Users will receive an invite to join the course which can be accepted from their Canvas Dashboard.
Teacher Allows Users to Self-Enroll
- The teachers can allow users to enroll with a secret URL.
District Courses for WCPSS Employees
Several Canvas courses are available for any WCPSS employee to participate in. Employees can self-enroll in these courses from the Canvas Help menu. Students cannot enroll in these courses. Follow these steps to self-enroll:
- Log into Canvas at http://wcpss.instructure.com.
- Click Help on the global navigation bar.
- Click District Courses for WCPSS Employees.
- Complete the form and click Submit. You will be automatically enrolled.
- You must be logged into your WCPSS Google account to complete the form.
- If you do not see District Courses for WCPSS Employees in the Help menu, go to the Canvas Portal and create a manual course. Once created, you will have access to district courses in the Help menu.