There are two ways that Canvas users are enrolled into a course: 1) automatically by PowerSchool or 2) manually by the teacher. Being enrolled in a course gives users the ability to participate in the course (e.g. take a quiz, submit an assignment, or post discussions.)
- Users are enrolled with a course role that give them rights to participate in the course.
- Students enrolled in a course will not have access until the course is published by the teacher.
- Students should never be enrolled with a teacher role.
- Only PowerSchool courses will have automatic enrollments.
- Teacher and student enrollments in Canvas are updated nightly to match PowerSchool enrollments.
All manual enrollments are managed by the teacher of the course. This can be done directly by the teacher or the teacher can allow users to self-enroll.
Teacher Manually Enrolls Each User
- Students: using their student number
- Faculty/Staff: using their full WCPSS e-mail
- Manual enrollment directions can be found at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2878.
- Users will receive an invite to join the course which can be accepted from their Canvas Dashboard.
Teacher Allows Users to Self-Enroll
- The teachers can allow users to enroll with a secret URL.