Cross-Listing Canvas Courses
Teachers can cross-list their Canvas PowerSchool courses by completing the required Google Form.
Teacher Access to the Cross-Listing Google Form:
1. Log into Canvas at http://wcpss.instructure.com.
2. Click the Help icon on the left navigation bar.
3. Click Cross-List PowerSchool Courses.
- A Google Form will be open in the active browser window.
- Once all required information has been submitted, allow 2 business days for completion.
What is Cross-Listing?
Cross-listing allows the teacher to designate a Canvas PowerSchool course to be the “parent” course for delivering content to designated “child” courses. This can be helpful for instructors who teach several sections of the same course and want to manage content for all courses from one parent course.
- Staff - The requestor must be a WCPSS Staff member.
- Unique - Duplicate course URL's in the same request is not allowed.
- Owner - The course owner must make the request (e.g. 342.Allen.FE112X0.1.2016 must be submitted by Ms. Allen).
- One Teacher - Only courses from the same teacher can be cross-listed. You cannot cross-list courses with another teacher.
- PowerSchool - Only Canvas PowerSchool courses will be cross-listed; manual Canvas courses will not.
- Not Already Cross-listed - Child courses can only have 1 section. Multiple sections means the course is already cross-listed.
- Same Term - All courses must be associated with the same term.
Course Design Considerations:
Cross-listed courses merge all student enrollments from each child course into the parent course. This means that if there are 4 sections of Algebra 1 with 25 students each, the parent course will have all 100 students enrolled. Because of the combined enrollments, it is important to consider the following design best practices for cross-listed courses.
Course Discussions and Messaging:
- To prevent data loss, cross-listing of courses should be completed before students begin working in the Canvas course. If the following data exists in a course at the time of cross-listing, it will be lost: submitted assignments, quizzes, discussion posts, work done in groups and all other grade associated items.
- Only Canvas PowerSchool courses will be cross-listed; manual Canvas courses will not.
- The user making the request must be the primary teacher listed in PowerSchool.
Checking Course Settings:
Teachers can check to see if a course is cross-listed from course Settings > Sections. Cross-listed courses will have more than one section with a SIS ID.