Starting July 1, 2021, parents can create an account in Canvas to monitor their child's progress. To do this, the student must generate a pairing code for the parent to use when creating an account.
Go to https://wcpss.instructure.com/login/canvas. Then use the top-right link to create your account.
About Pairing Codes
- Only students and teachers can generate pairing codes.
- Pairing codes are required to create an account and to add multiple students.
- Unused pairing codes will not work after 7 days.
- Paring Codes - Frequently Asked Questions
Generating a Pairing Code
Access for Parent Accounts
Parents will automatically be enrolled in courses for students they have paired with. However, access in the course is limited.
What a parent account can do:
- View and read announcements
- View assignments index page
- View the calendar
- Join conferences, if invited
- Join collaborations, if invited
- View personal inbox
- Send conversation messages to instructor and student they are observing
- View the dashboard
- View and read discussions
- View files unless they are locked
- View grades, view assignment due dates and comments, and print grades
- View modules and see due dates and point values
- View pages and contribute if the instructor enables the Anyone can edit it setting
- View profile pictures, if available
- View syllabus
- View outcomes
- View quizzes index page
What a parent account cannot do:
- Comment on announcements or discussions
- Submit assignments or quizzes
- View course rosters
- Send conversation messages to students with whom they are not paired
- View locked files or folders
- Join groups
- View unpublished courses
- Access the Chat tool
- Reserve appointment slots in the Scheduler
- View grade audit trail
Note About Viewing Quiz Responses: Viewing quiz responses depends on which type of quiz is being used by the teacher.
- Classic Quizzes: Parent accounts can see quiz questions and responses after the quiz is finished.
- New Quizzes: Parent accounts cannot see quiz questions and responses after the quiz is finished.